Monday, March 10, 2014

D.I.Y. Weekend

This weekend was hard.  I was doing well on my treadmill plan, but I can’t do it Thursday nights because we have dance class, and then I found out Friday that Grandma’s surgery didn’t get it all. So now she has to do it all over again and isn’t able to start radiation. I didn’t take the news very well. Robb did his best to try and comfort me but I just wasn’t having it. Thankfully Krystal came over so I could just pretend like it didn’t happen. She knew I was upset but it’s easier to keep from crying when I’m around others like that.  I know grandma is going to be ok, but I just hate this for her so much. She isn’t supposed to be sick. She is getting married and getting a new home, everything is supposed to be wonderful for her right now. And no one deserves it more than her.  I just so badly want her to be nothing but happy.

 

I think in an effort to feel like I had some control over something, I was able to talk Robb into doing a home project. I think we maybe bit off a bit more than we can chew on this.  But let me tell you I was PUMPED to be getting one of the items checked off the list. So I wanted to share a bit of what we attempted to do.

 

So we started Saturday around 7pm, I know super late start but I was at Leah’s’ (was so nice to see her) for a spell this morning and then with all the rain and it being such a gloomy day I needed a nap.  So we headed to Lowes to attempt our Framing project. I have wanted to frame the bathroom mirrors for over a year now and we finally started it. We also looked at a few things, which was fun, but we found the items needed, (fancy chair railing, square pieces, paint, paint brush, sand paper thing, heavy duty liquid nail and a caulking gun) got this nice lady to cut them to size for us and then headed home to paint!

See getting our pieces cut, she actually missed a line so one of the 8 was off a bit so she gave us half off that board. 

This is what we picked out :) 
Starting to get them painted. I picked a shiny black. 
Robb helped a lot, I kept telling him we were bonding lol. Also it was so cold in the garage we had to bring our little heater in there. 
Everything painted and waiting to dry. It was almost 3am at this point so we called it a night. 

As soon as I woke up the next morning I got Robb up and moved everything inside and set up for us to start getting it all put together.
I put the bottom up just to see it's not set quite yet in this photo. We started with Robb's side. I'm a jerk like that. 

Getting things started!! Followed by a LOT of this 
And then we were so proud, thinking we did it so perfect...
See how pretty we loved it. Little did we know things were about to get bad, pieces kept popping out and not staying on the mirror. Turns out a lot of liquid nail isn't a good thing, wouldn't dry pieces slid down and moved a lot. We then tried gorilla glue (I know you can laugh) a blow dryer and LOTS of holding them on, my thumbs still hurt from putting all the pressure on it. Here is an example of what I mean: 
See how it's pulling away? Well that pole holding the bottoms down is Robb's "MacGyver" way of keeping it held down, he's been moving it around but here's a full view so you can see it in all it's glory... 

Yep that's what our bathroom currently looks like. Taking a shower turned into a game of limbo (for now) we plan to finish as best we can tonight. But we did get it down a bit bitter after or first go round. I think we just tried to go to fast... So this is how my side looks so far 
Everything is staying put :) a little goes a long way. Once all this was done (about 1pm on Sunday) we called it good and I got to have a game night for a bit with Stu and Michael. We played some new games and I did pretty well if I do say so myself. :) 
The boys left about 730 so I then showered and started catching up on my DVR list. It was a crazy hard but fun weekend, I got to see a lot of friends and at least feel like I was able to get something done in the process. Until next time... I'll be catching up on someone of this
Xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Make fun all you want, my "MacGyver" setup is working like magic :)

    ReplyDelete