Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Whirlwind Weekend

This is us right before we headed West 
We had a beautiful sun set on the way out too. Followed by an awful storm 

 

I had every intention of writing this post last night, clearly that didn’t happen. I guess I was still too tired to do much of anything as I was asleep before 6pm and didn’t wake up at all until my alarm this morning at 6:45am. I would say I very much needed the rest.

 

Robb has been talking about taking me to see the Grand Canyon for a really long time now. I have always had an excuse or reason to not go, such as “it’s just a stupid hole in the ground”.  This wasn’t at the top of my list of Vacation Hot Spots.  With Robb’s new schedule he gets every other Friday off and this last Friday was one of those off days, so he said for me to take Friday off and we would go.  I finally agreed if we could take the extra 4 hours to hit Vegas while we were out. He agreed to those terms so we set out.

 

We started Thursday night, after stopping at mom’s restaurant for dinner; you know we wanted to get in a good meal before so many hours in the car. Robb tends to drive all night, once light hits it’s my turn to drive.  I drove us into Flagstaff, AZ (I think that was what that city was called) we stopped at the Petrified National Park to see the Painted Desert and the petrified wood; it was a pretty neat little drive. All still in the car however but was a very pretty place to see.

                The Painted Desert 
I loved this sign lol yes I know I should have pointed 

                   Petrified wood 

 

Once we left the Park it was off to Winslow, AZ. Robb even made me listen to the Eagles song; Take it Easy, so I could “get” the statue. Let me tell you they are PROUD of that song. It’s like that whole Town is all about it. Such a small claim to fame and they were milking it for everything it was worth.  I will say they have a Mexican Restaurant there called The Brown Cup or something like that and if you go you HAVE to eat here. It was by far the BEST I have ever had. I would drive back right now just to get that again.  I mean real authentic Mexican food with real green chilies. Man it was awesome.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I am pretty sure I kept saying how good it was after we left for a good hour or so.


    Standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ

 

From Winslow to the Grand Canyon felt like the longest part of the drive. I don’t really know what I was expecting but at least I can say I have seen it now, Robb had to stop at every little turn off and there were SO many people there. I am also scared to death of heights so it wasn’t exactly a walk in the park for me to be out there.  I still think it’s just a HUGE hole in the ground but it was very pretty. We stayed here for quite some time, almost to sundown, leaving with a bit of a sunburn as well. We stopped to fill up again, (Robb’s Juke doesn’t hold as much gas as my car so we had a LOT more gas stops then we were used to) grabbed some water and a snack to hold us over for the drive to Vegas.



On the way to Vegas, I jumped on Travelocity to get us a Hotel, and the best deal was for one night at the “super classy” Hooters Hotel and Casino. It was very close to the strip too so it was a pretty good find. It was about 2am I think when we finally got there. The plan was to sleep for a few hours and then get up and enjoy the Vegas Night life. Robb I guess had been thinking about it for a while said we would have ALL of Saturday to spend on the strip and wouldn’t have to really leave until about midnight so we could sleep longer.  So we did, I got up at 7am and started getting ready, then once I was out of the shower I got Robb up to get around. We had mentioned a show but nothing was really set in stone for that, so I didn’t think too much of it. And Then Robb showed me he had found some really good seats to Shania Twain’s show ( which we had planned to see for Valentine’s but never did) I told him it was up to him because he hadn’t really planned on it and it wasn’t exactly in the budget, but he BOOKED the show.  Yes I teared up. I have loved her since I was like 5 years old.  Show was at 7:30 so we had a full day of Vegas to see ahead of us. So we checked out of our hotel, loaded back up and went to breakfast.  Robb was all about the “cheap steak” meals in Vegas, So we had Steak and eggs for breakfast, this was fun for me because I have never actually had steak for breakfast. 


            Our room for the night
View from our last minuet room straight to NY,NY

I had always wanted a pic with this sign 

                        Breakfast 

 After Breakfast was done we drove to the parking garage of New York, New York and enjoyed quite some time in this casino (it’s my favorite). I am so not a gambling person, I feel like I work too hard for my money to lose it that fast, but we were in Vegas and wanted to play the penny slots.  So we played a few machines here and there and then I found a Michael Jackson one.  I was in love, I HAD to play this game, I just had too, Robb said it was “too rich for his blood” because the minimum bet was .60 cents.  But I didn’t care; to me it would be worth every penny. And man was it.  I was smiling the WHOLE time I was on it, AND I got to a bonus round and won 46.80 on it. Cashed out and that was what we gambled with the whole rest of the day. (We still left 21$ ahead too, I will call that a WIN) We really did play so many slots, I played a Grease themed one and a Titanic one, Robb played The Walking Dead one, it was so much fun! We walked pretty much the entire strip.  Then we went into the Mirage because I wanted to see what the Dolphin stuff was about, (we didn’t end up having time to see that) but we did pass this store called The Art of Music, such a cool store!  They had so many items signed by famous people and they were all framed and put together really well.  They even had this huge display of ALL the presidents with their signatures, Robb had to ask even if they were all real, that sucker was for sale too at a whopping $200,000. THAT was a little Rich for my blood, even with their 50% off sale on framed items.  BUT I did find one that was a poster of the show FRIENDS, which is my ALL TIME Favorite show ever for sale signed by the whole cast! (Jennifer Aniston is my best friend ya know ;) ) I had to have this, but we were a tight time schedule at this point and had to get to our car and get to the show. We also hadn’t ate anything in the longest time. So we left… On the walk back to our Car I told Robb if we got that it could be for my Birthday AND Christmas so he said we could talk about it.

 

         Playing the MJ slot machine! 

We grabbed an appetizer at a restaurant called America in NY,NY then headed to see Shania! It was SUCH a good show, and when she walked over to the side she was SOOO close to us! I cried, a lot. It was amazing, we weren't allowed to take Pictures or videos so I don’t really have any to show, Robb tried to sneak a few and that didn’t work out so well. But I KNOW I saw it and I loved every minute of it.  Once the show was over I bought a $5 magnet to have as a souvenir of the show and she had some of her more famous outfits displayed so we looked at all of those and we got to see her Grammy’s and ACM’s.  When we left it was decided that I COULD get that picture from The Art of Music store. So Excited.

 


    Some of her awesome wardrobes :)
Last three pics are NOT mine found on Instagram from people who were closer and braver on taking photos but they are great so I wanted to share with you as well :) 



The cool thing other than getting to have this super awesome picture was Robb got to meet that kid from Modern Family while we were in there checking out. He NEVER asks for autographs or a picture so it was a pretty big deal to see him ask for a pic with him. And Ricco was so cool and nice.  Once we got the picture all loaded up we went to Jerry’s Nugget which was pretty far off the strip past “Old Vegas” to have another Steak Dinner, at about 2 am.  It was so good, but I was so tired at this point I could hardly sit up. This day FLEW by. Then in an attempt to sleep on the way out I laid UNDER the picture on the folded down back seats,  it was NOT comfortable and I  already have a hard time sleeping in a car but I was so exhausted at that point I didn’t care.  I woke up to us stopped at a gas station with Robb asleep, so I woke him up and had him drive over to the gas station, got me some 5 hours and coffee and took over driving. 

 

                  Robb and Ricco

Now we were going to see Breaking Bad locations, this isn’t really my show but it IS one of Robb’s favorite shows, so I didn’t rush him, and told him I wanted him to see all the things there he wanted because he always sees all the TVD stuff for me.  So we stopped at this candy store that was known to have made all the “prop meth” for the show, and all the main houses and then we ate at this place called Twisters because it was a place they used on the show. Robb had a good time. The only sucky part was the more time we were here the later we would get home.  Worth it but man it was so late.  I drove after the Breaking bad stuff till it got dark, plus we got hit by a HUGE storm so I was having a really hard time seeing, which was kind of funny because we got stuck in a REALLY bad storm on the way out Thursday night too.  We didn’t get home till about 3am and then Daisy showed us how she felt about us being gone that long and peed on the bed, so I had to strip the bed down and remake it so we could FINALLY go to bed.

 

     Our attempt of sleeping in the back 
      Us in front of the Break Bad house

Yes I went to work Monday morning so very tired. When we got home Monday the only goal was to get my AMAZING Friends picture hung, and then bed. Followed by work Tuesday and then of course falling asleep so early last night. I guess this trip took more out of me than I thought. But it was SO worth it. We had so much fun, and it was so needed. I already can’t wait to go back to Vegas.  Gosh this was such a fun trip! Other than the Bahamas, I think this was one of my favorites.

            Before my new picture 
                   After!!! Love it!!!
      You can see the signatures here :) 


 

Much love to All! XOXO

 


1 comment:

  1. What a FUN weekend! I just LOVE the last photo of you and Robb in front of the Breaking Bad house- it's like you can see how much fun you had over the weekend vaca! You're so good about writing/journaling about your trips. Memories made forever!

    ReplyDelete